[EM] Comparing ranked versus unranked methods

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Mon Feb 4 20:23:09 PST 2002

I was going to bring this up in my discussion of IRV versus Approval with
Donald Davidson, but I decided it was a separate topic.

I think that it is worth comparing methods that do not require ranked
ballots and methods that do require ranked ballots on separate
planes.  Since methods that do not require ranked ballots tend to be very
easy to implement, understand, and tally, they have a significant advantage
when pushing for reform on a small scale.

In single winner, this means basically approval voting or plurality
voting.  Are there any strategic advantages to plurality in this comparison?

In multi-winner, there are a wide variety of methods that don't need ranked
ballots.  I prefer open party list; some prefer closed party list or single
non-transferrable vote.  Plurality at-large is a pretty poor method by
almost all accounts.

I'm sure these issues have been brought up before on this list.  The main
reason I mention it again is because I feel it is unfair to compare ranked
and unranked methods without giving proper deference to the ease of
implementation the non-ranked methods have.  I prefer Condorcet to Approval
by significant margin, but recognize that Approval is a worthy ledge to
reach for in electoral reform.  I think Approval blows IRV out of the
water, and moreover I think that the comparison is unfair since IRV is more
complicated and harder to implement "effectively"  (if that term can be
applied to IRV).

Similarly, I see the advantages of STV over open party list, but the issues
with STV implementation make me wonder if it is ever worth it to move
beyond open list in most multi-winner elections.

-Adam