[EM] 02/01/02 - IRVing is superior in math, Steve Barney:

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Feb 1 10:00:00 PST 2002

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Forest Simmons wrote:

> By the way, I looked up the page of Lorrie Cranor's dissertation with the
> table comparing methods by different criterion:
>
> http://www.ccrc.wustl.edu/~lorracks/dsv/diss/node4.html#SECTION00310000000000
>
> Runoff beats IRV (alias Hare/STV/preference vote in the table) on one
> criterion (the IIAC), and they come out the same on the seven other
> criteria in the table.

The one difference in the table would have to be a typo because Runoff
obviously fails IIAC, since it is equivalent to IRV in the three candidate
case, and IRV fails the IIAC at that level.

So on the eight criteria of Lorrie's table, the two methods come out the
same (unless there is another typo in the table).

Forest