[EM] Gilmour: Approval

Elisabeth Varin/Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 8 20:58:57 PST 2002

First let me suggest again mixes of approval and preferential ballots
that I use for the single-winner methods explained on the
Electoral_systems_designers
site:
1) the universal ballot uses a preferential ballot ended by the approval
cut-off;
1) demorep's ballot (message #5 on this archive) uses the same and keeps
the ranks of the undesired candidates after the cut-off. This information
can help a voter participate in solving the "lesser-of-two-evils" problem
without actually approving any of the unacceptable candidates. Thus a voter
cannot
DIRECTLY (Thanks Mike) give the victory to the less evil...

MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote :

> Gilmour replied:
>
> Maybe, but that does not remove the serious defect in Approval. One person,
> one
> vote is violated.
>
> I reply:
>
> Are you aware that that objection was answered during the last few
> days on EM? On EM, we customarily reply to messages that claim to refute
> something that was said, before we go on repeating the refuted
> statement.
>
> 1) 1-person-1-vote is intended to mean that each person gets one ballot,
>    with the same voting opportunities, and counted by the same rules,
>    rules that are invariable with respect to the name of the voter.
>    Approval meets that criterion.

I  define that as fairness between voters.

Steph.

----