[EM] New thoughts on strong FBC

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Sun Dec 8 17:30:02 PST 2002

I already said that Negative Voting (a person's first and second choices
are each given a single vote) passes strong FBC (at least when voters have
sufficient information).  Granted, it passes in a very dubious way,
because the method makes no distinctions between the first and second
choices.  Nonetheless, if we use ranked ballots it technically does pass
strong FBC.

As far as I can tell, negative voting is the only possible system that
satisfies the following requirements when there are 3 candidates:

(1) strong FBC
(2) swapping first and second choices doesn't change outcome
(3) symmetry:  If every voter swaps his rankings of A and B, and A was the
winner, then B now wins, and if C won then C still wins.

I haven't proven this, but let's take it as a conjecture and examine its
consequences.

Now, as always, we have 6 voter types.  Constraining the number of voters
in each category to add up to some constant gives us 5 essential a
5-dimensional space of possible electorates.  Normally, a tie corresponds
to a 4-D subset of the 5-D space of possible electorates.

Let's resolve at least some 2-way ties with a pairwise comparison of the
tied candidates.  Our augmented method now makes a meaningful distinction
between first and second rankings in at least some circumstances (a 4D
subset of the space of possible electorates, to be precise).

As far as I can tell, the method satisfies strong FBC.  The only time the
method will distinguish between your first and second choices is when they
tie, and in those cases you never have an incentive to list #2 ahead of
#1.  You might, of course, have an incentive to demote #2 to third place
if your favorite would lose the pairwise contest.  But that's consistent
with strong FBC.

Now, suppose we increase the margin needed to trigger a pairwise contest
between the top two.  How large the margin is really doesn't matter, as
long as it's greater than zero.  When the margin is small enough to
trigger a pairwise comparison, you're essentially voting on who the 2
contestants will be.  We now have a 5 dimensional section of "voter space"
where the method makes a meaningful distinction between first and second
choices.

It's easy to show that although a single person cannot change the outcome
to something that he prefers, two voters acting in concert can.  Consider
this example, where the critical margin for a top-2 runoff is greater than
zero:

Your preference:  A>B>C
Society's pairwise preferences:  C>A, B>C, A vs. B irrelevant here.
Votes for each candidate: