[EM] No cancelling criterioin

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 8 23:54:45 PST 2002

This is one of those times when I don't have the opportunity to
really take part in the list, and there are some things I'd like to
reply to as soon as possible. I'm replying to this now because it
requires only a very brief reply:

Markus wrote:

Dear Steph,

you wrote (8 Dec 2002):
>I suppose Mike means that if someone voted ABDEFH,
>is vote can be cancelled by someone else voting CG
>thus the combined effect of those two votes has no
>effect on the outcome of the vote (except in the case
>of a tie and a mathematically systematical tie-breaker).

I suppose that Mike means something like Donald G. Saari's
"Reversal Symmetry Criterion" which says that adding a
vote and its reversal shouldn't change the outcome.
However, this criterion is a rather strong criterion
(especially when one promotes "winning votes").

I reply:

I meant merely that in Approval, any voter can vote so that his
ballot will cancel any other voter's ballot. A ballot cancels another
if it makes it as if neither ballot was voted.

I said that to show that reply to the claim that Approval makes
some voters more powerful than others.

But I never intended it as a criterion. I suppose someone could
look for justification of it as a criterion.

Mike Ossipoff