[EM] Depolarizing the debates - SPPA

Elisabeth Varin/Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 23 23:46:01 PST 2002

Adam--

I am pleased EM list discussions moved toward multiple-winners election,

some of the last mails were of a very low level my 3 years old daughter
cannot match...

I have tried to invent a system that would permit voters to build the
list
using results from their ballots. It is explained at:
http://www.fairvotecanada.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=8&forum=1&3
(fourth post is in english).
the three first components should produce the desired effect...
One of the goals is to depolarize the debates by encouraging candidates
indicate their rare divergence from the party line. Thus the electorate
would pick
the ones, with the divergence matching their desires. Elected officials
should all be builders of the new party line after the election, and not
scared to vote against the
government if needed to defend the electors view.

It tries to keep FPTP advantages and to solve:
- adversary dirting;
- vote splitting;
- ungarantee for full proportionality;
- low approbation levels;
- debates polarization;
- party line rigidity;
- dealing for votes;
- government stability.

All this and more...
Please anyone you are welcome to comment the overall proposition.

Steph.