[EM] Approval cut-off

Elisabeth Varin/Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 24 09:30:04 PST 2002

Subject: [IRV-freewheeling] Approval cut-off

Hello Dave & Tom,

I have heard several times people arguing about who should win
between A or C the following case. The key seems to be the
interpretation of the voters will (preferences or successive full
support). I think you should not try to inpose the voters will.
An efficient way to know what the voters want is to introduce
an approval cut-off between wanted and unacceptable candidates.
An example:
People express acceptable preferences...
AC|B = 49
BC|A = 48
CA|B = 3
could lead to C being elected.
People express least of two evils...
A|CB = 49
B|CA = 48
C|AB = 3
should lead to A being elected.
If you are interested to a method that can make that difference
see
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Electoral_systems_designers/message/131

S. Rouillon