[EM] My Matrix for Kemeny's Rule, n=3

barnes99 barnes99 at vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu
Fri Dec 20 13:56:03 PST 2002

Here is my matrix for Kemeny's Rule with 3 candidates. Please let me know if I
got it right or wrong.

Here is an example of a Kemeny Rule tally for profile p, p=(1,1,0,0,0,0),
where the first thru sixth columns represent, respectively, the number of ABC,
ACB, CAB, CBA, BCA, and BAC voters.

Voting Vector:

	p=[ 1 1 0 0 0 0 ]

Matrix (M) for Kemeny's Rule:

	[[ 0 1 2 3 2 1 ]
	[ 1 0 1 2 3 2 ]
	[ 2 1 0 1 2 3 ]
	[ 3 2 1 0 1 2 ]
	[ 2 3 2 1 0 1 ]
	[ 1 2 3 2 1 0 ]]

The KR tally is:

	p(M)=[ 1 1 3 5 5 3 ], where

	ABC=[0+1+0+0+0+0]=1
	ACB=[1+0+0+0+0+0]=1
	CAB=[2+1+0+0+0+0]=3
	CBA=[3+2+0+0+0+0]=5
	BCA=[2+3+0+0+0+0]=5
	BAC=[1+2+0+0+0+0]=3

This is the measure of the "distance" from unanimity, so the lower the score
the better. In this example, we have a tie between the ABC and ACB outcomes,
in which case I guess the final outcome must be A>B~C. This may not be a very
interesting example, but the point is that I believe this is how to do a KR
tally with 3 candidates. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Thank you,
SB

Steve Barney

Richard M. Hare, 1919 - 2002, In Memoriam: <http://www.petersingerlinks.com/hare.htm>.

Did you know there is an web site where, if you click on a button, the advertisers there will donate 2 1/2 cups of food to feed hungry people in places where there is a lot of starvation? See:
<http://www.thehungersite.com>.

----