[EM] My Matrix for Kemeny's Rule, n=3

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Dec 31 14:02:57 PST 2002

Your example is correctly done.

Despite the intractability of the method for large numbers of candidates,
it seems like an ideal method for some situations.

One application could be in choosing between several orders that have been
found by other means.

[The main computational difficulty of finding the Kemeny order is not in
calculating the mean Kemeny distance to any particular order, but in the
sheer magnitude of the number of possible orders.]

Here's a homely example:

Start with the candidates ranked by Approval, Borda, Ranked Pairs, etc.

Do both a sink sort and a bubble sort to each of these preliminary orders.

[These sortings are ways of achieving "local Keminization." Ranked Pairs
is already locally Kemeny optimal.]

See which of the resulting locally optimum orders is best (among those
considered) globally by calculating the mean distance of each to the
preference orders on the ballots.

Forest

----