[EM] Instant Runoff Voting in Alaska

Craig Carey research at ijs.co.nz
Wed Aug 7 10:33:03 PDT 2002

At 02\08\06 19:17 -0700 Tuesday, Alex Small wrote:
 >Mr. Dasbach-
 >

 >I'm a dues-paying Libertarian and on the e-mail list.  I'm also an
 >http://electionmethods.org/IRVproblems.htm, a page that I am NOT
 >affiliated with).

A mistake corrected.

 >for resources see
 >http://bcn.boulder.co.us/government/approvalvote/center.html and
 >http://electionmethods.org/approved.htm).
 >
 >My fear is that if an inferior reform is adopted, it will leave voters
 >disenchanted

Which axiom does that comment on disenchantment correspond to most
closely?.

What is the principles allowing the public of Alaska to be deprived
of a referenda?.

Unfortunately this mailing list seems to have no inclination to
do research and then, with the results, educate...

----------------------
 >The Election Methods Education and Research Group (EMERG) ... is a
 >non-partisan organization. We believe that election methods should
 >be evaluated objectively and mathematically,
 >If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or corrections,
 >please contact us. And be sure to check back regularly to see this
 >website grow and improve.

http://www.electionmethods.org/aboutus.htm

----------------------

This text from the "NEWS from the Libertarian Party" says that the
decision was made. (Alex Small is just an observer):

 >The 2002 National Libertarian Party Convention amended our platform plank
 >on Election Laws to express support for Instant Runoff Voting (IRV).
 >Below is an announcement from Gordon Hartlieb, chair of the Alaska LP,

Alex may be with the wrong party.

The Libertarian newsletter says:

 > It has the backing
 > of every political party in Alaska except one--the Democratic Party.
 > Because of their opposition--and that of some radical environmental
 > groups, such as Alaskan Conservation Voters-- we have a tough fight,
 > and are asking for support from around the country. The national
 > battleground for electoral reform right now is in Alaska.
 >Alaskans for Voters Rights

The Libertarians appear to be a pro-'IRV' party. Mr Small is still
with them. Are you going to quit them?. If not, are you disenchanted
with the Libertarian party?.

 >  The only obstacle steeper than those imposed by the
 >  Republicrats is an electorate that has become jaded by failed reforms.

Craig Carey, New Zealand

----