[EM] Instant Runoff Voting in Alaska

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 7 13:02:46 PDT 2002

> What is the principles allowing the public of Alaska to be deprived of
> a referenda?.

I'm not suggesting that they be deprived of the right to vote in a
referendum!  I'm suggesting that during public debate over the pros and
cons of the proposed measure the LP reconsider its position.

> The Libertarians appear to be a pro-'IRV' party. Mr Small is still with
> them. Are you going to quit them?. If not, are you disenchanted with
> the Libertarian party?.

There are many issues in the platform of a political party.  If
disagreement on a single matter were enough to prompt withdrawal then in
all likelihood almost nobody would be a member of any party.  Perhaps some
people feel strongly enough about this single issue to withdraw over it.
I feel that this issue alone is insufficient to cause my withdrawal.
Indeed, I disagree with many of the LP's specific economic proposals, but
they're the only party moving in the general direction that I favor.
Perhaps some day, if we move in that direction, once we've moved as far as
I'm comfortable with I'll leave the party.  For now I proudly support
them.

You may be interested to know that Harry Browne, the Libertarian
Presidential nominee in 1996 and 2000, has caused controversy within the
party at times.  Most people are still members, and they debate one
another to try to get the best nominees (in their opinion) and the best
platform (in their opinion).  My feedback to Mr. Dasbach was my modest
attempt at debate within the party.

Alex

----