[EM] Saari and Cyclic Ambiguities

Arnold B. Urken aurken at choicelogic.com
Tue Apr 30 17:54:18 PDT 2002

Forest and Alex,

Just rejoined the list recently and enjoyed this message. I would like
to point out that engineering and sports applications share a problem
that was identified in Borda's lifetime: that voters truncate their
rankings to avoid hurting their most favored choice. In baseball this seems to
be accepted, but in selecting NASA mission trajectories, it took weeks to
consult with the various teams to get a complete ordering.

In the Institute of France, Pierre Claude Daunou described this problem in some
detail. The problem had serious practical consequences because the by-laws
required waiting two weeks to take another vote--to avoid "cabals."  In any
case, when Borda heard about this problem, he is reported to have said that his
system was designed for "honest men."

My apologies in advance if all of this is old news to you.

Arnie

622 A Jefferson Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030
201-420-5998