[EM] Majority Winners (was Ventura)

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Tue Apr 30 07:04:45 PDT 2002

>D- I mention the obvious.
>
>A legislative body can elect/ appoint (by a majority vote) any officer who
>fails to get 50 percent plus 1 of the votes for the office from the voters.

Demorep, you advocate this sort of thing a lot, but frankly I don't think
it's a good idea to throw things to the legislature in the case of a
divided/unsatisfied electorate.  This seems like just an additional level
of "indirectness" to me.  Maybe the legislature will do a better job
sometimes, but I'd rather go with the best candidate among whatever slim
pickings the public was presented with.

One solution (I've heard Rob L mention it; surely he's not the first on
this list to do so) is to shorten the term of the official if they fail to
win an approval majority.  Say, cut the president's term down to two years
or something.  This is a very significant penalty, but more to the point it
gives the people a chance to look at a better candidate more quickly.

Now I bet that Demorep thinks two years is two too many for a minority
approved candidate.  But do we have any assurances that the legislature
won't pick somebody WORSE?  We don't, really.  In times of severe
factionalism, the best you can hope to do is elect the candidate with the
broadest support, and hope that a more popular candidate emerges
soon.  Otherwise, you risk turning the entire election procedure into a
farce during periods like this.

-Adam

----