Using abbreviations (Re: [EM] The Allure of IRV...)

Rob Lanphier robla at eskimo.com
Sun Apr 28 18:18:04 PDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 hager2002 at lsh107.siteprotect.com wrote:
> Funny, I first read about AV only after I'd heard about IRV -- which I
> knew as preference voting.  AV was immediately attractive to me because it
> was much simpler.  It was only in the past couple of years that I learned
> that IRV has all sorts of nasty properties.

Hi Paul (and the rest of the list),

This illustrates one problem with using abbreviations on this list without
qualifying them.  As I was reading this, I was thinking by "AV"  you meant
"Alternative Vote", which clearly doesn't make sense.  Nonetheless, it
took me half of the message to figure out that you meant "Approval
Voting".  I probably should have known better, but there's a lot of people
who probably don't know what you mean by "AV", since the word "Approval"
appears nowhere in your message.

It's a little more typing, but spelling out the abbreviation (at least the
first time you use it) helps out a lot.

Thanks
Rob

----