The Allure of IRV...

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Mon Apr 22 21:14:16 PDT 2002

Alex wrote-

This is the problem with dissuading people against IRV:  The idea of a

guaranteed majority looks so great, never mind that the majority is very

path-dependent (which leads to non-monotonicity, IIAC, etc.).  It also

looks so great that if our favorite is gone, well, at least we can weigh in

on the remaining candidates.  Face it, folks, IRV _LOOKS_ really good.

***

Don't say "Hitler-Stalin-Washington."  The example is so extreme that it

will be ignored.

---
D-  IRV does NOT look *really good*.

I will continue to say "Hitler-Stalin-Washington" (example).

Ignored by who ???     *Ignorant* folks with NO political math brain cells
???

For recent folks --- the HSW IRV example (which is NOT going away) -

Times are rough and tough as in 1860 or 1932 ---

3 choices remaining with IRV

34 HWS
33 SWH
16 WSH
16 WHS

99

With IRV, W loses.

H beats S 50-49 and claims a mighty mandate for his/her extremist agenda.

Head to Head ---

W beats H 65-34
W beats S 66-33

Possible Approval Votes-

H 34 to 50 ??
S 33 to 49 ??
W circa 99 (a mere 100 percent of the votes)

Give me and this list a break about the *allure of IRV* --- which fails to
use ALL the infomation in a place votes table.

Folks can, I presume, produce a Place Votes Table

       1      2       3     etc

A    A1    A2     A3   etc
B    B1    B2     B3   etc
C    C1    C2     C3   etc
etc.

and a simple Approval Table

      YES    NO

A    AY    AN
B    BY    BN
C    CY    CN

Advanced folks can do a Head to Head table ---

       A          B           C

A    ----     A>B      A>C
B    B>A       ---       B>C
C    C>A      C>B       ----

The above tables can then be shown to the People --- to lessen the ignorance
level about multiple choice elections --- especially in the single winner
case for executive and judicial office elections.

The various simpler and more complex p.r. methods can be brought up for
legislative body elections.

It is due to the lack of indirect Democracy in the U.S.A. Congress and the
State legislatures and many local government legislative bodies that there is
the continuous political hype about having Presidents, Governors, Mayors,
etc. with *mandates* to do something.

----