[EM] Action

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 11 12:45:32 PDT 2002

Alex et al.,

Apologies for not saying earlier that: (1) I am all for your proposal, and
(2) I volunteer for the Abstract (which of course will eventually need the
other sections in place) or anyhow to at least review and try to improve on
and correct what others write.

     [I've lately been extremely pressed for time, esp. what with municipal
primary elections here in Long Beach this last week.  (The bad guys won
again, with a turnout of 15%, a triumph for the local soporific newsrag,
which feeds at city hall's trough and will never see malfeasance or evil -
except of course in the likes of us troublemaking naysayers.)  All you will
read in the national press is about the impending June mayoralty runoff
between the termed-out successfully-written-in mayor and the ambitious
vice-mayor.  What you may or may not read is that essentially both
candidates are do-nothing feel-good glad-handers.  What for sure you will
not read is that their two campaigns were by far the most expensive, and
featured bragged accomplishments and promises that are basically irrelevant
to the city's actual problems.]

I hope that the white paper, as a well-backgrounded product of scientists,
will briefly mention and describe and in broad strokes evaluate a broad
spectrum of available election methods.  Then Approval can be presented as
the simplest and currently and foreseeably most workable of all these
methods, and one which achieves at least 80% of the potential advantage, at
minimal or no cost.

Such a survey portion may not be the key part of the paper for reporters or
public to focus on, but it will help make the case that Approval (unlike IRV
or Lone-Mark) is the result of systematic scientific study and objective
considerations, and is not merely another historical accident or
subjectively appealing here-it-is and aint-it-pretty arbitrary choice of
method.  I volunteer, for over the next two months, to write a first draft
of this sort of survey discussion.

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA