[EM] 04/05/02 - I Know the Drill, Adam, I'll be on the same page:

Adam Tarr atarr at ecn.purdue.edu
Fri Apr 5 08:08:05 PST 2002

>Winning this election is only our second objective.  Worst may win
>this election, but that is only a short term gain for them.  We are going
>for the long term gain.  We are going for Number One, but first we need to
>be Number Two.

That's basically a load of bull.  What you are saying is that IRV does not
prevent a two-party duopoly, but it does make it marginally easier for one party
to shove another out.  That's not too much better.  Moreover, this whole idea
that we gain some moral victory by polling well, and losing to the extreme
candidate on the other side, is pretty bogus.  Gains in elections are made by
winning elections, and everything else finished far, far behind.

Here's another thought: what if the new third party was the Compromise party?
IRV now keeps them down indefintely, even though more than half the populace
would prefer Compromise winning the election to either "Favorite" or "Worst".
Alex Small implies this was the case in the 1980 presidential election.

>(Note: What Adam does not tell us is that candidate Worst will still win if
>the method being used were Approval Voting.)

No, Worst would not usually win.  Check out the Reagan, Anderson, Carter
examples I cite in the thread "Equilibrium in Approval Voting".  This is almost
exactly equivalent to my Favorite, Compromise, Worst scenario if you cast those
positions as Carter, Anderson, and Reagan respectively (no offhand
editorializing intended here).  As I point out, the only way that nobody regrets
the way they voted is if the approval vote results in Anderson (Compromise)
winning.

-Adam