[EM] 04/12/02 - Favorite is the Approval Winner:

Donald Davison donald at mich.com
Fri Apr 12 03:52:12 PDT 2002

04/12/02 - Favorite is the Approval Winner:

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, From: Craig Carey <research at ijs.co.nz>
Subject: [EM] When is Mr Ossipoff's "favorite" not a winner?

Craig wrote: "I guess we keep reading the EM list and watch Mike revert back to
the old position and then note that the EM members never commented on it."

Donald: EM members never comment on it because half don't read Mike and the
other half believes he is a minor Deity and can `speak no evil' like one of
the three monkeys.

Craig: "Mike never tells us how he knows who the "favorite" is."

Donald: Me Me, ask me, I know, I'll tell you, I've been on this list long
enough to know.  I solved this dilemma about five years ago on this list.
   When one of these minor Deities use the term `favorite' that means they
have eye-balled all the choices and then they have secretly used Approval
Voting to calculate the winner.
   Without letting on that they used Approval Voting, they announce a big
`Divine Revelation from Above', they announce the `favorite'.
   They will then use this `Divine Revelation from Above' as a standard to
prove Approval Voting is the best method because Approval will always
elects the `favorite'.  (corruption)

So, to answer the question: "When is Mr Ossipoff's "favorite" not a winner?"

Answer: When some method other than Approval Voting is the method being
used in an election.

Regards,
   Donald Davison, host of New Democracy at http://www.mich.com/~donald
                        Candidate Election Methods
   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
   |                        Q U O T A T I O N                          |
   |  "Democracy is a beautiful thing,                                 |
   |        except that part about letting just any old yokel vote."   |
   |                           - Age 10 -                              |
    APV   Approval Voting
    ATV   Alternative Vote  aka  IRV Instant Runoff Voting  aka  IRVing
    FPTP  First Past The Post  aka  Plurality
    NOTA  None of the Above  aka  RON Re-Open Nominations
    STV   Single Transferable Vote  aka  Preference Voting  aka  Choice Voting
          aka  Hare Clarke  aka  Hare Preferential Voting

Please be advised that sending email to me allows me to quote from it
and/or forward the entire email to others.