[EM] Seven +/- Two

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Sep 14 11:41:44 PDT 2001

It is true that any ballot proposed for public consumption should not be
much more complicated than the five slot ballot.

Keep in mind, however, that not all ballots (let alone methods of
evaluating them) discussed on this list are to be considered as public
proposals.

First of all, voting methods have many scientific decision making
applications outside of politics, for example in robotics and other
control systems.

But more to the point for the case in question is the following
consideration:

It is surprising to many folks that theoretical considerations often have
practical implications.

This fact has been dubbed by philosophers of science as "The Unreasonable
Effectiveness of Mathematics."

Here's my explanation.

Suppose that your college applies to the legislature for some money to
remodel and upgrade your facilities. You submit your wish list. On that
list the sky is the limit. It gives a vision of the ideal. But budget
limitations pare down the list to realistic improvements.

In mathematics, the theoretical can help us identify the ideal. Then
practical considerations pare this down to the realistic level of the
application. The practical is an approximation to the ideal.  Without the
ideal it isn't clear what we are trying to approximate.

I agree that a CR scale of zero to 100 is probably too much resolution for
a public proposal, although I don't consider it harder to deal with than a
preference ballot with fifteen or twenty candidates to be ranked.

But if we can figure out the ideal use of a high resolution CR ballot,
then we have a better chance of knowing how to get the most out of our
five slot ballot.

I'm still waiting for ideas on how to infer strength of preference
from the high resolution CR ballots, and how to use the strength of
preference information to best advantage.

I'm saving my ideas along these lines to keep from prejudicing others.

One more thought on the relative ease of rating twenty candidates in
contrast to ranking them; rate them as follows:

First rank them, but with equalities allowed for cases of indecision.

[This feature makes ranking easier, especially for people that have
psychological problems with coin tossing while performing their civic
duty.]

Then allow the voting machine to assign preliminary ratings by converting
the ranks to percentages.

Finally, if the resulting ratings do not seem quite acceptable, adjust the
gap sizes to roughly correspond to strength of preference.

The preliminary ranking can easily be accomplished interactively by
responding to (the order of)  n*log(n)  questions of preference, where n
is the number of candidates.

Forest