[EM] Seven +/- Two

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Mon Sep 10 22:55:21 PDT 2001

I pretty much agree with all of this.  I have long thought that pairwise
methods made more sense if the number of preference levels were
restricted.  Possibly a number of levels as a function of the number of
candidates, with 2 levels (equivalent to approval voting) if there are
few (say three to five) candidates, and a maximum of three or four
levels when there are many candidates.

This has much the same effect as ranking pairs (as Mr. Ketchum points
out).

But I seriously doubt that this would have much, if any, practical
benefit over plain approval voting.  After all of the recent talk about
chads, undervoting, and overvoting, it seems ironic that the greatest
single improvement we could make to single winner elections would be to
*legalize* overvoting.

Bart