[EM] CR style ballots for Ranked Preferences

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Sep 11 08:20:07 PDT 2001

Ok, approval voting is a possibility, though I HOPE for better - I see
most voters wanting to list their first choice up front, and have this
affect who wins (but I think all I want in this preference list is a
simple list of names).

I do not see how to avoid my combining precincts conclusion - we are
talking of millions of voters scattered across a state.

I notice that Condorcet is claimed to be inconsistent.  Agreed that
there are multiple choices as to how to sort the counts of pairs but,
are there none that come reasonably close (when IRV declares Bush the
winner when only 35% call him acceptable and 65% call Gore acceptable
and Bush unacceptable - THAT is a failure)?

That Approval gets used in private elections does not excite me - most
such elections affect FEW lives in the way that public elections do.

     About overvoting in FL - my understanding is those voters were (at
least mostly) not deliberately overvoting, but getting tricked into
errors via confusing ballots (that could be interpreted as overvoting).
     About Borda being consistent - perhaps in analyzing the counts.  Do
I have the following right?  Being desperate to do the best I can in
Gore vs Bush, I must place Gore first; wanting to say that I like Nader
even better than Gore, I cannot place Nader first without weakening my
Gore vote.

Dave Ketchum

--
 davek at clarityconnect.com    http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
   Dave Ketchum     108 Halstead Ave, Owego, NY  13827-1708    607-687-5026