[EM] CR style ballots for Ranked Preferences

Richard Moore rmoore4 at home.com
Tue Sep 11 21:22:48 PDT 2001

Dave Ketchum wrote:
>      About Borda being consistent - perhaps in analyzing the counts.  Do
> I have the following right?  Being desperate to do the best I can in
> Gore vs Bush, I must place Gore first; wanting to say that I like Nader
> even better than Gore, I cannot place Nader first without weakening my
> Gore vote.

Don't confuse consistency with FBC or other strategy
resistance criteria. Consistency applies to the counting as
you noted, and the strategic criteria determine whether
people will be motivated to vote insincere ballots.

Borda does nicely in everything *but* resistance to
strategy, where it has a pronounced weakness. It is
monotonic and tends to pick high social utility candidates
when strategy doesn't mess things up.

Richard