[EM] Consistency; IFPP

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 23:10:55 PDT 2001

Bart wrote:
> None of the other methods mentioned here (except plurality) is
> consistent (although IRV would obviously fail more often).

No Condorcet method is consistent.  Are there any consistent ranked-ballot
methods besides Borda?  In particular, is either Bucklin or Coombs consistent?

By the way, whatever became of the "wrong number of winners" thing Craig was
talking about?  Was it established that he meant that a Condorcet winner
doesn't always exist?  If so, is he aware of the excellent Condorcet-compliant
methods that always pick one winner (perhaps with a tiebreaker)?  Also, Craig,
if you're still reading the list, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the IFPP
example I gave in
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/election-methods-list/message/8046 .  (Thanks to
Markus for the further insights.)  Can IFPP's monotonicity be proved for an
arbitrary number of candidates?

=====
Rob LeGrand
honky98 at aggies.org