[EM] Variations on IRV

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Mar 26 12:43:37 PST 2001

Tom, I want to apologize because upon re-reading this previous message it
sounds kind of arrogant.

I don't want to be guilty of discouraging exploration of new ideas. Even
in the unlikeliest places there are some gems of knowledge and great
insights awaiting.

I am curious, though, to know if you agree with me as to the facts of
iterated IRV.

Also, when I said that PAV is the best PR method for an half dozen or
fewer winners, I should have added the qualification "in my opinion" since
we haven't made any comparisons on the basis of objective criteria as of
yet. (The size limitation is due to computational complexity, exponential
in the number of winners.)

I guess grading too many finals brought out the worst in me.

Just be glad you're not one of the students in the last class to get
graded.

Peace,

Forest