[EM] Variations on IRV

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Mar 24 16:50:43 PST 2001

Tom, I am curious about something that doesn't quite add up in my mind.

You know about recursive, iterative methods for improving IRV (as well as
other methods).

You agree with me that each iteration is an improvement.

You are aware that with each iteration the method has a greater chance of
picking the Condorcet winner if there is one.

You know that in a finite number of iterations IRV will reach the
Condorcet winner if there is one.

(Correct me, if I am wrong on any of the above assumptions.)

What puzzles me is how you can waste time working for IRV and its little
variations in view of the above facts (if you agree that they are facts).

If you are going to require voters to use preference ballots, why don't
you just support some version of Condorcet that allows equalities as well
as inequalities?

Just Wondering,

Forest