[EM] Runoff terminology --> Seeded Condorcet

LAYTON Craig Craig.LAYTON at add.nsw.gov.au
Wed Mar 14 14:58:07 PST 2001

Forest wrote:

>I think that all candidates with less than 50% approval should be
>eliminated, except perhaps when that would eliminate all of them.

This might not solve the problem of handing the result to a 'bad Condorcet
winner' if, as I strongly suspect, there will be many cases where no
candidate gets 50% approval.  Even when one does, eliminating all the other
candidates might be questionable (eg below).  But I generally suspect that
it is better than other Condorcet completion methods.  There is the
possibility of an undesirable result (see example below), but I've pretty
much come to the conclusion that you can't avoid this.

2  A>>B>C
49 B>>C>A
49 C>A>>B

Approval votes
A 51
B 49
C 49

Head to head contests
A v B 51-49
B v C 51-49
C v A 98-2

A wins, whether you have the mass exclusion rule or not.

An example with the mass exclusion rule
49 A>B>C>>D
49 B>A>C>>D
 2 D>C>>A=B
C wins.  This is a highly questionable result.  Without the mass exclusion
rule, A or B win.