Election Reform (fwd)

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sat Mar 10 11:51:20 PST 2001

There are at least 3 major things going on with multiple choice elections ----

Scale Votes      +100 percent to -100 percent for each choice --- or my
suggested short version of YES (above zero)/NO (below zero).

Head to Head Votes (Condorcet's major observation/discovery)

Place Votes (for ranked votes using the Scale Votes or simple Number Voting
-- 1, 2, etc.)

Each of the three produces a table.

IRV ignores the existance of Scale Votes and Head to Head and uses only the
first place votes part of a Place Votes table for eliminations -- and thus
dangerously omits major election information.

See my standard Hitler- Stalin- Washington anti-IRV example --- i.e. 2
extremists (X) and a divided moderate middle (M).

Folks can do probability math on how often there will be 1 or 2 extremists in
the top 2 positions when there are 3 candidates remaining if IRV is being
used.

Thus with 3 choices remaining if IRV is being used ---
M or X
M or X
M or X

It only takes 1 bad result for really rotten things to happen -- such as
getting Hitler into power in Germany in Jan. 1933 (if IRV was being used to
elect national chief executive officers in real public elections).

I am aware that Hitler was appointed (due to the fatal machinations of the
1932-1933 Germany leadership) but the election connection is possible.