Condorcet vs Approval

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 3 12:54:15 PST 2001

[The following message was composed and sent Fri 2 March 2001 approx 6 PM
Pacific Standard Time.  Hours later my Hotmail postmaster indicated -
without giving any reason - that delivery of this message to eskimo.com
would be delayed by 48 hours, i.e. to Sun 4 March 2001 approx 6 PM.  Maybe
this copy will be delivered earlier. - Joe]

On Fri. 2 March (or Sat. 3 March in Sydney) Craig Layton wrote:

"Joe wrote (in relation to Forest's Condorcet//Approval compromise):..."

My query:  Joe who?  Not I.

As a matter of fact I have no enthusiasm for Condorcet - or for any other
pairwise comparison methodology which simply looks at qualitative
preferences but ignores their strengths (i.e., preference is taken as one of
just three alternatives:  positive, negative or zero, and it doesn't matter
how strong a positive or how strong a negative).

To be sure, one can do - and get lots of professional credit for - some
arcane math by investigating various qualitative pairwise comparison schemes
and issues.  Witness Arrow; and Don Saari, who did truly ingeniously show
that in one sense Borda is by far the least paradox-prone of all scoring
methods applied to qualitative preference.

For me, Condorcet (as most methods treated here in the EM-list) has much the
same problems noted specifically for Irv about six weeks ago. Namely, the
method gratuitously (indeed, from my viewpoint, stupidly) disregards
preference info given or readily retrievable from the voter.  For its part,
at each stage, Irv disregards all voter preferences other than between
(currently) top and lower places.  For its part Condorcet ignores different
strengths of preference.  All preferences are classed as either positive
(never mind with what strength), zero, or negative (again, never mind
strength).

For me, Condorcet breaks down at the very beginning, in the simplest case, a
2-candidate contest between A and B, where Condorcet Winner A beats B over a
majority of the voters by very shallow preference, but B beats A over the
remaining voters by heavy preference.  E.G.,  suppose (on a grade scale of
100) the voters grade the candidates as follows:

    55% of voters:  A(80) B(75)
    45% of voters:  A(40) B(80)

To me it is clear that the deserving winner is B, the candidate with a
higher grade average (which some people equate exactly, and I roughly, to
higher 'social utility').  Of course, one might argue (in my view,
correctly) that - for purposes of true social utility - a grade of 40 is
surely worth more than just exactly half of a grade of 80, etc.  However,
even if grades were in some way convex-transformed to reflect this view,
before being averaged, B would still be the clear winner.

In order to 'justify' Condorcet (or another qualitative-only preference or
ranking method), its partisans could insist that the election method allow
only qualitative preferences to be expressed on the ballot.  Their one
credible material excuse would be that the computers requisite for more
quantitative input and tabulation would be too expensive or slow or
unreliable.  Nowadays (and prospectively) this excuse is utterly mistaken.
However, if one sincerely believed it, one should be more consistent and
demand use of Approval (i.e. just pass-fail grading of each candidate):
compared with Approval, such methods as Condorcet (not to mention Irv) are
far more complex and demanding computationally.

High-res grading provides a direct way to express quantitative preference
strengths, and (through grade averaging) provides readily tabulated and
consistent scoring of candidates.  By comparison, methods like Condorcet or
Irv both disregard voter information (on preference strengths) and are
computationally more intensive.
High-res grading makes so much sense that an Irvie cultist to whom I
explained it could think of only one rejoinder: it's too 'corny'.

Yes, direct grading of candidates is 'corny', and makes a far less
interesting research-game topic than complex info-discarding pairwise
comparison setups like Condorcet or Borda.  Similarly, today's money-based
price-based economy is far too 'corny'.  Economic life and research could be
a lot more interesting if we ditched money and went to a system of pairwise
product barters.  Yes, and we could ditch Kepler's elliptical planetary
orbits in favor of Ptolemy's more interesting and far less corny system of
epicycles.

I leave to a forthcoming posting a full discussion of the issue of Hi-res vs
Low-res grading, = Approval.  (But hint: the old argument - that hi-res
'strategy' boils down to that of Approval' - is less than decisive, because
- as some of Approval's staunchest supporters here have lately noted - the
utility of a vote embraces not only the direct outcome but also the ability
to send a message, so the above 'strategy' is not all there is to true
strategy: in fact, it's only a small part.) At least Approval, like
higher-res, is part of the family of unconstrained grading methods.
Considering criteria which I also plan to post and discuss soon, any one of
these methods is superior to the bother of Condorcet(let alone Borda, Irv,
etc.).

THANKS FOR YOUR HEED

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA