eliminations methods like IRV

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Wed Feb 21 22:24:49 PST 2001

Mr. Simmons wrote in part-

Can anything be salvaged from IRV?  I think so: it's an ill wind indeed
that blows no good at all.

One idea implicit in IRV is this:  Keep eliminating the worst candidates
from the rankings until the best choice among the remaining candidates is
obvious.

The idea is appealing. I like it, and I suppose it is part of the reason
that IRV (which claims to implement it faithfully) has garnered so much
support.
---
D- Again ----

H = Hitler, S = Stalin, W = Washington, George

34 HWS
33 SWH
16 WSH
16 WHS
99

With IRV, W loses.
H beats S by 50 to 49.

IRV will aggrevate plurality extremists.

W happens to be a Condorcet Winner.

In a YES/NO vote, who is the most likely to get the highest YES majority ???