[EM] eliminations methods like IRV

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Feb 21 17:32:20 PST 2001

Here's some more (as threatened):

An example of iteration:

We start with rankings and a crude method for picking the winner.

Rankings:

34% A>B>C
36% C>B>A
30% B>A>C

Crude Starting Method: Method_0 is just the one we mentioned last time ...
choosing the candidate with the least number of last place votes.

Picking a winner by Method_0 :  A is the winner.

First iteration: Improving Method_0 to get Method_1 :

Step1. Reverse the preferences:
34% A<B<C
36% C<B<A
30% B<A<C

Step2. Use Method_0 to find the best for this reversed problem: best=B.

Step3. Eliminate B.

64% A<C
36% C<A

Step4. Use Method_0 again to eliminate C.

This concludes the first iteration:  A is the only candidate left, so we
consider A to be the loser of the reversed problem, and therefore the
winner of the first iteration method Method_1.

Note that, applying Method_0 to eliminate B and C from the reversed
problem was equivalent to IRV's elimination rule for the original problem,
so Method_1 is just IRV in disguise.  A wins under IRV.

Second Iteration: Improving Method_1 (IRV in this case) by using it to do
the eliminations in the reverse preference problem:

Here's the reverse preference problem again:

34 A<B<C
36 C<B<A
30 B<A<C

IRV would pick C as the best, so that's the first one to eliminate:

34 A<B
66 B<A

Of these, IRV likes A, so we eliminate A.  We are left with B, so B is the
winner of the second iteration method, Method_2.

Note that in this case, the second iteration has produced the Condorcet
winner.  Applying IRV to the reversed preference problem (to do the
eliminations) has improved on IRV itself.

Note that this process is ideally adapted to recursive programming.