[EM] Advantages of CR style ballots

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Dec 27 12:22:28 PST 2001

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Bart Ingles wrote:

> Forest Simmons wrote:
> >
> > Joe Weinstein argues the advantages of unconstrained CR style ballots
> > below.  I would like to add my two bits worth.
> >
> > Most of the arguments against the use of CR ballots are based on the
> > misguided assumption that the only way to use CR ballots is to give the
> > win to the candidate with the highest average rating.
>
> One argument against CR ballots actually uses the opposite assumption.
> Since CR ballots can be used as input for any rated or ranked method,
> they invite the possibility of lawsuits from any group which favors a
> different method, or which simply doesn't like the outcome of a
> particular election.

Kind of like Olympic spectators believing that figure skating medals
should go to the fastest figure skaters.

> Of course the same argument applies to ranked ballots, to a lesser
> degree.

Lesser degree precisely because the possibilities are fewer.

> Bart

I long for the day when the pendulum swings towards this "opposite
assumption" because that will indicate a level of interest and awareness
that we haven't yet begun to approach.

Forest