[EM] Advantages of CR style ballots

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Thu Dec 27 11:38:57 PST 2001

Forest Simmons wrote:

> Joe Weinstein argues the advantages of unconstrained CR style ballots
> below.  I would like to add my two bits worth.
>
> Most of the arguments against the use of CR ballots are based on the
> misguided assumption that the only way to use CR ballots is to give the
> win to the candidate with the highest average rating.

One argument against CR ballots actually uses the opposite assumption.
Since CR ballots can be used as input for any rated or ranked method,
they invite the possibility of lawsuits from any group which favors a
different method, or which simply doesn't like the outcome of a
particular election.

Of course the same argument applies to ranked ballots, to a lesser
degree.

Bart