[EM] Re: Advantages of CR style ballots

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Thu Dec 27 15:52:13 PST 2001

Richard asked-

Could lone mark balloting be disenfranchising more voters than is generally
realized?
----
D- Lone mark (plurality) obviously causes a whole lot of lesser of 2 or more
evils type voting (along with a whole lot of delusional *mandate* type
thinking in the brains of the resulting plurality winners -- especially long
term incumbents in legislative bodies).

My local government is now using opscan voting devices.  The voter puts
his/her ballot into the device which immediately scans the ballot and spits
out the ballot if there is overvoting for any office or issue (with a notice
if there is any undervoting --- such as the zillion judicial positions in my
local area).

Before the switch about 2 to 4 percent of the voters were overvoting for one
or more offices -- especially for the local 9 member at large city council.