[EM] Fixing IRV

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Aug 9 15:19:17 PDT 2001

Excellent ideas!

I think they deserve further consideration.

Note that the candidate with lowest mean (as opposed to median) rank is
the Borda loser, so this method is similar to Nanson (if I remember
correctly).

The median is better than the mean in this context because it is more
majoritarian and less sensitive to the extremes.

The IRVies make big claims for a majority winner, but the Condorcet Winner
will always beat the IRV winner by a majority when the two differ.

Ask an IRV supporter this question.  Suppose that whenever methods X and Y
produce different winners, the X winner beats the Y winner by a majority.
Which method is better, X or Y ?

Let method Y be IRV. Let method X be the method that gives the win to the
CW if there is one, else picks the IRV winner.

Method X is obviously an improvement over method Y by the majority
criterion.

Roy's method is an improvement over both X and Nanson, in my opinion.

Forest