[EM] Fixing IRV

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Fri Aug 10 04:59:33 PDT 2001

Dear Richard,

you wrote (9 Aug 2001):
> Markus wrote (9 Aug 2001):
> > Richard wrote (8 Aug 2001):

> > > Granted, but disproving the converse doesn't disprove the
> > > original statement.
> >
> > The negation of "No elimination method is monotonic." is: "There
> > is a monotonic elimination method." And of course proving the
> > negation is the same as disproving the original statement.
>
> But, the *converse* of "All elimination methods are
> non-monotonic" is "All non-monotonic methods are elimination
> methods". You cited Dodgson as a counter-example of the
> converse, as a method that is non-monotonic but not an
> elimination method. And as I said, disproving the converse
> does not disprove the original statement.

Granted, but RP _is_ as an example of the negation. And as I said,
proving the negation _does_ disprove the original statement.

You wrote (9 Aug 2001):
> However, I see your point that "eliminating alternatives
> prior to selecting a winner" could be subject to
> interpretation (English can be a slippery thing). But to me
> it's pretty clear that this phrase would apply IRV (for
> example) but not to RP. Without the "prior" phrase, any
> method might be considered an elimination method, since all
> election methods eliminate alternatives.

Suppose, that Tideman didn't propose RP but RP-elimination
and that it didn't occurred to him that RP-elimination = RP.

How do you want to check whether a given elimination method can
also be defined as a method that doesn't "eliminate alternatives
prior to selecting a winner"?

Markus Schulze