[EM] Strategy in IRV/elimination

Blake Cretney bcretney at postmark.net
Sat Sep 2 18:29:17 PDT 2000

I said:
> If you can come up with any evidence from any of the many countries
> where IRV or some form of successive elimination is used, that a
> significant number of people know that you can vote strategically
> elect a compromise, then I would be very interested to here it.  I
> also argue against IRV, so I would actually be rather pleased if
> such
> evidence could be found.  I just don't think it exists.

Mike replies:

> First of all, it isn't "many countries". It's Australia &
> Ireland. And you can't really count Ireland, because an Irishman
> told me that in his country IRV is only used for a ceremonial
> office. So, instead of many, it's one. And don't count
> the "2nd ballot" system as IRV.

It may well be that only those countries use IRV.  However, I
mentioned IRV or successive elimination because many countries use
some sort of successive elimination method, usually in leadership
conventions.

> I believe it was Tom Round, of Australia, who said that in
> Australia's IRV elections, the small parties have a difficult time
> getting their members to rank their own party in 1st place, because
> the members want to rank one of the big-2 in 1st place, as a
> lesser-evil, believing that their favorite can't win, but might
> eliminate the big-2 candidate whom that voters prefers to the
> other big-2 candidate.

Are you talking about a small party that isn't eliminated until after
a big party.  That just doesn't make sense.  It sounds to me like
some people don't understand IRV, and are therefore using a poor
strategy.  Strategy in IRV is actually to place a centrist
lesser-evil small party in from of a more favoured large party.

David:
> Anyway, Mr. Guy With A Plum In His Mouth Who You
> Probably See Occasionally On US News 'Cause He's The Foreign
Minister And
> All won. The point though is that it's rare and that even then one
can see
> a bi-partisan pattern emerging.

Australia is too peaceful to get on North American news.  Perhaps if
you invaded New Zealand.  Or perhaps you already have but it was
during the OJ Simpson trial so no one over here noticed.

---
Blake Cretney