[EM] Strategy in IRV/elimination

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sat Sep 2 18:45:39 PDT 2000

Blake Cretney wrote:
>  [...]  Strategy in IRV is actually to place a centrist
> lesser-evil small party in from of a more favoured large party.

Um, I don't know if you can generalize that far.  In some cases that
strategy would eliminate your non-Condorcet favorite, who might have
otherwise gone on to win.  In other cases, if your favorite is not
likely to win in any case, your strategy might be correct.

> Australia is too peaceful to get on North American news.  Perhaps if
> you invaded New Zealand.  Or perhaps you already have but it was
> during the OJ Simpson trial so no one over here noticed.

That's not true -- what about them rabbits?  And who could forget the
Skippyburger controversy?