Let's found an organization to oppose IRV

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 17:30:41 PST 2000

It
has symbolic value, I guess, but of course the LO2E voter can
> >only do it when Nader hasn't got a chance. It's safe to vote Nader 1st
> >only when it can't do any good, results-wise. You call that a reform?
>
>I see three reasons for viewing this as more than a symbolic reform.
>1)  The electoral system gives certain advantages (money) to candidates
>with enough first place support.

That's true, but, using Approval, if Nader gets more votes than
the losing big-2 candidate, and if the ballots voting for Nader+Gore
outnumber the ballots voting for Gore but not Nader, then that too
should show everyone that Nader is a deserving contender.

But yes, it's true that even IRV would bring the benefit that you
suggested, if Nader really was a sure-loser. But I don't believe
he was. My conversations indicate that Nader is favorite to more
people than Gore is. If people voted sincerely in IRV, in this
election, Nader might very well eliminate Gore. And then he might
lose to Bush, just as in our badexamples. After that happens, how
many of our cautious progressives will vote sincerely again. It will
be as in Australia, where small party people vote usually for a
lesser-evil big-2 candidate in 1st place.

>2)  To eventually win, a party will likely have to go through a stage of
>only symbolic support, which will make people take it more seriously.

Sure, but, at that transitional stage, passing from sure loser to
winner, there's a spoiler stage in Plurality & IRV, where people will
learn the hard way that they can't safely vote for that party or
candidate fully.

>3)  It seems clear that some people will vote for a third party, even
>though it doesn't help.  IRV keeps their votes from being wasted, and
>would obviously have had an effect in the last election.

I believe it's likely that Nader would have eliminated Gore in
this recent election, using IRV in one big national count.

>There's a similar problem in approval, though.  For Nader to actually
>win, his supporters have to start voting for him alone.  This creates a
>risk of back-firing.  It's also not clear to me that people will
>understand precisely when they should make this shift.

When Nader gets more votes than the Republican. Then it will be clear
that we can beat the Republican without giving the election away to
the Democrat.

Of course, Approval isn't Condorcet. We can't expect the luxuries of
Condorcet with other methods. But Approval, unlike IRV shows Nader's
support even when his voters strategize to protect Gore. Approval
quickly homes in on the voter median position, and stays there.

To be continued later tonight...

Mike Ossipoff