[EM] Losing with 65% in the Approval Vote

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon May 22 21:14:51 PDT 2000

Craig said:

[By the way, Craig, I thought you left this list in order to
specialize in polytopes]

>Here is a better one that is a worst case example of those that aim
>   to make the margin by which a candidate wrong loses, is maximised.
>
>Candidate A has 65% of the vote and loses in the Approval Vote.
>
>------------------
>       AB  32
>       AC  33
>       BC  18
>       CB  17
>    Total = 100
>------------------
>
>Approval Vote: A:B:C = 65:67:68, so C wins (65<86 & 67<68) (1 winner).

In other words, the A voters are a 65% majority, but
about half of them believe that C will get more votes than A will,
and the other half of the A voters believe that B will get
more votes than A will. That's a really impressive mis-estimate.
A has 65 1st choice voters, B has 18, and C has 17. But the
A voters fear that those two will get more votes than A.

As I said, I question how frequent mis-estimates of that magnitude
will be.

And notice that the A voters' mis-estimate is peculiarly peculiar
to them. The C voters didn't think C would get more votes than
A. They believed the opposite, which is why they voted for B.
The B voters didn't believe that B would get more votes than
A. They believed the opposite, which is why they voted for C.

***

This is something that's already well-discussed in recent posts
in this discussion.

>WHICH OF THE TWO, STANDARD BORDA AND APPROVAL, CAN GIVE THE BIGGER
>   CLEAR SURPLUS beyond 50% To The Clear ?, yet Still It Lose.

Borda is the only method I know of in which a candidate can
lose even if a majority of all the voters vote him over everyone
else.

Mike Ossipoff