"Indirect" strategy (was Re: [EM] vulnerability to compromise?)

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed May 17 11:51:34 PDT 2000

Mike O wrote:

-snip-
> Of course it's been pointed out that, with both Schulze &
> Tideman, it's sometimes possible to make A win instead of B
> by insincerely ranking C over D.

Sssh!  Markus would prefer we believe such an "indirect"
strategy can be used in Tideman (a.k.a. MTM) but not in Schulze.

> Can that strategy elect the strategists' favorite with both
> methods?

Or with either method?  In Markus' February 23 example, the
burying strategy used in Schulze elects the strategizers'
favorite, but the indirect strategy used in Tideman elects the
strategizers' next-to-last choice.