Fwd: Re: Participation & SARC (was Re: [EM] Probabilistic criteria. Participation & no-show.)

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri May 5 21:05:41 PDT 2000

Steve said:

Also, is there a
plausible argument that society would be worse off using a
procedure which doesn't rigorously comply with participation?

I reply:

I think it's just more of a theoretical embarrassment (for
all methods other than point systems). Maybe its weaker relative,
Monotonicity, is just an embarrassment too, but it's a much more
embarrassing embarrassment, and an easy one to avoid, since
there's only one active "reform" proposal that fails it: IRV.

I certainly don't think people would stay home as a strategy
due to Participation or No-Show. But they certainly stay home
because of the LO2E problem, and the spoiler problem, showing
that the defensive strategy criteria are genuinely important
in a practical way.

Mike Ossipoff

Mike Ossipoff