[EM] SARC definition improvement

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 27 21:44:14 PDT 2000

Dear Markus--

[This is a partial preliminary reply]

You wrote:

Suppose that candidate X is the expected winner if every
voter votes sincerely. Then -to my opinion- an "offensive"
strategy is a strategy that a given voter uses to make a
candidate win who is prefered by this voter (due to his
sincere preferences) to candidate X.

I reply:

Like when the people who prefer Nader vote for Gore?

Offensive? You bet that's offensive when the people voting
insincerely manage to give the election away when their
favorite could have won--when their favorite is my favorite too.
I admit that I'm more than a little offended by that kind of
voting.

I also admit that such compromise-giveaway voters deserve what
they get. The only problem is that I don't want want what they
get for all of us when they do that.

You don't think that's a problem, when they worsen the outcome
for themselves,
because they did it to themselves.
But it isn't just themselves for whom they're worsening the outcome.
And that is a problem.

That's why I'd like them to not have to give the election away
and conceal the magnitude of their (& my) favorite's support, when
they want to help a compromise.

Not to protect them, but to protect the rest of us from their
fear-motivated voting.

What I call "defensive order-reversal", you don't call "defensive",
and I'll get to that later; but whatever you call it, I don't
like its results when it messes the country up for more people than
just those who did it.

Mike Ossipoff