[EM] SARC definition improvement

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sun Aug 27 17:24:23 PDT 2000

Mr. Schulze wrote-

suppose that candidate X is the expected winner if every
voter votes sincerely. Then -to my opinion- an "offensive"
strategy is a strategy that a given voter uses to make a
candidate win who is prefered by this voter (due to his
sincere preferences) to candidate X. And -to my opinion-
a "defensive" strategy is a strategy that a given voter
uses to make not a candidate win who is not prefered by
this voter (due to his sincere preferences) to candidate X.
In other words: A "defensive" strategy is a counterstrategy;
a "defensive" strategy is a reaction to a predicted
strategy of another voter.
---
D- Here we go again. An election method operates on the votes cast on an
election day (not on an infinite number of situations having added, missing,
or dropped voters playing their strategy games depending on what election
method is being used and allegedly having perfect advance knowledge about how
all or most *other* voters are voting (which is in itself circular
thinking)).

If folks want to play continuous election day games, then all well and good.
The rest of us are interested in an election on election day for a term of
office (either fixed (e.g. 2 or 4 years) or variable (parliamentary systems)
of a public officer such as a President of the U.S.A. (due to World War II a
major defender of western civilization).

If supposedly *ALL* election methods have some sort of strategy/
counter-strategy, then what is the point in bringing up the playing of
strategy games ???

If anything just list the strategy/ counter strategy of each method.

John and Mary Q. Voter (or Legislator) will say -- What, if anything, does
this mean ???