[EM] Proportional preferential voting

Craig Carey research at ijs.co.nz
Wed Sep 22 11:11:10 PDT 1999

Note: at the end of my last message there was an outline
 of the derivation of the IFPP 3 candidate 1 winner formula.

This message sort of adds to that derivation. Finishing the
 derivation needs a corner to be clipped:
     make (B wins) = (B wins) & (1/3 < b).

At 23:06 99/09/22 , you wrote:
>Dear Julian,
>
>you wrote (22 Sep 1999):
>> See the "Note of Reservation" by Lord Alexander of Weedon QC in
>> the Report Of The Independent Commission on the Voting System,
>> (http://www.official-documents.co.uk/document/cm40/4090/chap-9.htm#c9-a).
>> His comments are about 'small-STV', called AV, but the point is
>> equally applicable.
>>
>> Indeed, Lord Weedon almost but not quites manages to conclude that
Lord Alexander
>> non-monotonic systems have embedded randomness -- something not
>> widely acknowledged.

>> Julian D. A. Wiseman, http://www.jdawiseman.com

------------------

Monotonicity might perhaps mean concave win regions?. I don't
 know all the terminology. What is the aim: when a single German
 gets into the voting booth, he may expect that his vote does not
 become reversed in effect or whatever through some dumb paradox.
 If electors don't like votes for candidate A causing A to lose,
 then for starter's they could keep away from STV (any number
 of winners).

The word randomness may mean: excess of corners of the win-lose
 regions. What is the probability of a random line segment
 crossing a win-lose boundary (easy to estimate with random
 numbers).

Two major problems with STV are (1) it fails (P1), and (2) the
 transfer values waste votes.

Lord Alexander writes about AV ("Alternative Vote" sytems, and
 identical to 1 winner STV).

: AV comes into play only when a candidate fails to secure a majority
: of first preference votes. It does not, however, then take account
: of the second preferences of all voters, but only of those who have
: supported the least successful candidates. So it ignores the second
: preferences of the voters who supported the two candidates with the
: highest first preference votes, but allows the voters for the third
: or even weaker candidates to have their second votes counted so as
: to determine the result.

I suppose the [IFPP] fix is to test against quotas (S/3, S/4, etc.)
 in some way or another.

: I find this approach wholly illogical. Why should the second
: preferences of those voters who favoured the two stronger
: candidates on the first vote be totally ignored and only those who
: support the lower placed and less popular candidates get a second
: bite of the cherry? Why, too, should the second preferences of
: these voters be given equal weight with the first preferences of
: supporters of the stronger candidates? In 1931 Mr Winston Churchill
: described this proposal as taking account of "the most worthless
: votes of the most worthless candidates". He went on to describe AV

After 68 years, the UK government still can't locate original British
 research...

: as containing an element of blind chance and accident which would
: lower respect for Parliament. Churchill's comments warrant even
: greater weight because at that time he was not unsympathetic to
: some sensible form of electoral reform. In addition, as all experts
: on electoral systems have acknowledged, AV can operate haphazardly
: depending upon the rank

+++++++++

My last message had at the bottom, much of a derivation of
 IFPP. This messages shows that finishing the derivatio of
 ISPP is just a matter of clipping the corner out of STV that
 causes the (R1) failure.

       Alteration Rule (R1):

A voting method satisfies rule (R1) if there are no
 instances of this change occuring:

   1.   B wins:   C { B A
   2.   C wins:   AB { C

All preferential voting methods that do not satisfy (R1) also
 do not satisfy the rule (P1), because of what happens about
 candidate C. (What happens to B is perhaps a little questionable
 too, but I suppose it definitely ought be allowed.)

The (P1) failure corollary can be seen by: making the candidate
 under consideration 'C', and noting that C flips from losing
 to winning when 2 votes having a first preference for C
 are altered in the allowed AtAltAfter way.

Here is the simplest example that nearly finishes off STV.

       Sample Election example (E1)

V1:
  5 AB
  6 B
 10 C

STV: B, IFPP: C, FPTP: C, Cond: B

V2:
  7 AB
  6 B
  8 C

STV: C, IFPP: C, FPTP: C, Cond: {}

STV fails (R1) and it also fails (P1).
If STV won't make it past a (P1) test then it might as well
 be redesigned. I don't suppose the original designers of
 STV explained why in example (E1) C loses unless not voted
 for.

The defect with (1 winner 3 candidate) STV can be fixed by
 tilting some boundaries.

The one winner solution to this voting system:
V:
   AB a
   B  b
   C  c

The STV winner:
   Aw = (b<a)(c<a)
   Bw = (a<b)(c<b+a)
   Cw = (a<c)[(b+a<c) or (b<a)]

The IFPP winner:
   Aw = (b<a)(c<a)
   Bw = (a<b)(c+a<2b)(c<b+a)
   Cw = (a<c)[(b+a<c) or (2b<c+a)]

A corner is cut off STV to make IFPP.

STV passes the "SPC" test, which is weaker test than (P1).

Here's a list of what properties it seems to me that
 a preferential voting method resembling STV should
 satisfy. It might seem somwhat arbitrary.

Tests:

 (P1) [This implies the SPC rule and that itself implies that
   problems can be decomposed into sub problems]

 The method is multiwinner 'First Past the Post' when there are
    no 2nd preferences. That method passes all these tests.

 Linear (so polytopes and flats only. Both the vote alteration
    constraints and also proportionality give rise to flat
    surfaces, and if boundaries (say in STV) are curved, then
    they could be optimised until they become the union of
    flat surface regions. So no dividing by the number of votes
    in parcels would occur in an optimal method)

 The method satisfies the Duality relationship. [FPTP does, whye
    should't any other method?]

 'Absence of constuctable examples of altering the voting paper
    that make the method do something wrong or stupid. [The (P1)
    rule is an instance of this rule]

 Always returns the correct number of winners (Condorcet is
    failed by this). Results are unique (excl ties). No random
    numbers (cause problems in recounts).

 To the extent achievable, absence of arbitrary rules. (They
    marr publications that show the derivation).

 The effect of a vote is not more than its weight. (E.g. can't
    have 5 2nd preferences, causing a win, when it would take 6
    1st preferences to do the same). [Maybe this could be
    worded as clearly as (P1)]

 The method is 'proportional'... For example, the divide
    between where B & C win could be (b+Zab = c+Zac).

 A computer ought to be able to run the method. (This rule
    is probably going to hold OK without it being imposed).

Some of the above is a little imprecise.
Other people will have different criteria.

Mr G. A. Craig Carey
E-mail: research at ijs.co.nz
Auckland, Nth Island, New Zealand
Pages: Snooz Metasearch: http://www.ijs.co.nz/info/snooz.htm
       Public Proxies, MEDLINE Search, Multithreaded Add-URL