[EM] Proportional preferential voting

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 22 04:06:46 PDT 1999

Dear Julian,

you wrote (22 Sep 1999):
> See the "Note of Reservation" by Lord Alexander of Weedon QC in
> the Report Of The Independent Commission on the Voting System,
> (http://www.official-documents.co.uk/document/cm40/4090/chap-9.htm#c9-a).
> His comments are about 'small-STV', called AV, but the point is
> equally applicable.
>
> Indeed, Lord Weedon almost but not quites manages to conclude that
> non-monotonic systems have embedded randomness -- something not
> widely acknowledged.

> Julian D. A. Wiseman, http://www.jdawiseman.com

Thank you for your quick reply. But it doesn't seem to me that
Craig criticizes the currently used STV methods because of their
lack of monotonicity. Could you -please- quote that part of
Craig's mails that you interpret as a criticism of the lack of
monotonicity of the currently used STV methods.

I must admit that I haven't yet understood the aim of Craig's
mails. Maybe he should give a motivation for his method.

Markus Schulze