[EM] 10/28 - The Redemption of David Catchpole

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Thu Oct 28 15:28:34 PDT 1999

Greetings,

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, David Catchpole wrote:
> Droop doesn't do that. Give me an example where it does.

Dear David Catchpole,

     You surprise me. I should think that a person who is into mathematics
as you seem to be, would have made a few calculations and determined that
my claims are indeed possible. In other words: You should know the answers
before you make the charges.

     I am going to give you a chance to redeem yourself. In this letter, I
am going to make the few calculations that prove my claims to be possible.
And then I am going to ask you to give an example that show my claims to be
true.
     This is how you can redeem yourself. Fear not, your task will be easy
- `A Piece of Cake'. I have already constructed such an example.

     Droop has wasted ballots sticking out of its butt end - or as you say
`arsend'. Because these wasted votes do not in any way elect any members,
the remaining ballots will have more value in electing the members.
     How much more value will depend on the number of seats per district.
The lower the number of seats per district, the more valuable the remaining
votes will be. In a four seat Droop district, the votes that elect members
will be worth 25% more. (4+1)/4
     This means that the voting power of the groups that elected members
was increased by 25%. Therefore the range of power to elect for a 48% group
will be increased to 60% (48x1.25=60).
     I will now say the same in a different way, in order to help you
understand. If only 80% of the votes elect all the members, then a 48%
group has 60% of the votes that are electing the members (48/80=60%)
     My claim of 58% falls inside this range of 60%, therefore my claim is
possible.

     You can redeem yourself by constructing an example that proves my
claims to be true.

     If you chose not to take this assignment, you will not be redeemed,
your computer will self destruct, and your first born will be taken from
you. (he's kidding)

Have fun,
Donald

Note: It is the feature of having small districts that stop an eight
percent group from electing any members, which was included in my claims.

   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
   |                         Q U O T A T I O N                         |
   |  "Democracy is a beautiful thing,                                 |
   |       except that part about letting just any old yokel vote."    |
   |                            - Age 10                               |
   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                            N E W S L E T T E R

                    Worldwide Direct Democracy Newsletter
                     Four Issues per Year by Postal Mail
             Cost per year: Czech Republic 200 Kc,  Europe 12 DM
                          Outside of Europe  $10

              Make check payable to: Mr. Bohuslav Binka
              Mail to:  Mr. Bohuslav Binka
                        Bellova 15
                        Brno 623 00
                        Czech Republic
                         N E W    D E M O C R A C Y
              A Source of Study Material for Political Change

                        http://www.mich.com/~donald