[EM] Bart questions Ideal Condition of no exhausted ballots

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Tue Oct 19 01:16:27 PDT 1999

Greetings,

Bart wrote:
I have a problem with this statement:
>     It is best to use Ideal Conditions when we compare the two.
Does this mean that worst-case conditions are irrelevant?  -Bart

Dear Bart,
     You are correct, I should have included exhausted ballots.

     The number of exhausted ballots is depended directly on the number of
transferred ballots. Only transferred ballots face the possibility of
becoming exhausted. A Droop STV election will have more transferred surplus
ballots because the quota is lower. Therefore, Droop STV will have more
exhausted surplus ballots than Hare STV, for the same set of ballots.

     If you need a real election in the real world, we can go back to the
Northern Ireland election for one district that was posted on this list
last month.
     Ian Paisley had 23,059 surplus votes, of which 4,094 were
non-transferable(exhausted). This was a Droop STV election. Had it been a
Hare STV election, Paisley's numbers are below the Hare quota, and
therefore, no surplus votes, and therefore, 4094 less exhausted surplus
votes for this Hare STV election.

     The increase of exhausted ballots by the Droop STV does not end with
the surplus ballots. The ballots of the eliminated candidates also add to
the increase of exhausted ballots. Because the quota is lower, more ballots
will need to be transferred more than once, and the more often a ballot is
transferred, the greater the possibility of it becoming exhausted, thereby
increasing some more the number of exhausted ballots for Droop STV over
Hare STV.

     The Droop STV election will have more exhausted ballots than Hare STV.
And this does not include the near quota of wasted ballots the Droop STV
will have left over at the end of the count.

     Droop may create the results some desire, if their desire is to favor
the largest party, but it does fail in the count of exhausted votes - it
will have more than Hare.

     Thank you Bart for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,
Donald

   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
   |                         Q U O T A T I O N                         |
   |  "Democracy is a beautiful thing,                                 |
   |       except that part about letting just any old yokel vote."    |
   |                            - Age 10                               |
   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                            N E W S L E T T E R

                    Worldwide Direct Democracy Newsletter
                     Four Issues per Year by Postal Mail
             Cost per year: Czech Republic 200 Kc,  Europe 12 DM
                          Outside of Europe  $10

              Make check payable to: Mr. Bohuslav Binka
              Mail to:  Mr. Bohuslav Binka
                        Bellova 15
                        Brno 623 00
                        Czech Republic
                         N E W    D E M O C R A C Y
              A Source of Study Material for Political Change

                        http://www.mich.com/~donald