[EM] Proportional Representation and the Droop Quota

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Thu Oct 14 18:20:32 PDT 1999

Greetings,

     Proportional Representation(PR) is a system of voting in which each
faction elects the same percentage of members as the percentage the faction
has of the total voters - no more - no less.

     In other words a 12 % faction will elect 12 % of the members and a 48
% faction will elect 48 % of the members - no more - no less.
     But, if Droop enters the equation, the 48 % faction will be able to
elect 58 - 60 % of the members. This is not PR - Droop STV is not PR.

     If you are a supporter of a large faction, it is understandable if you
also support the Droop quota, but you are part of the problem, because you
are taking more representation than what you are entitled to, which means
you are also stealing representation from some of the other voters.
     You have disqualified the votes of these other voters, which is the
same as if you stopped them from voting in the first place. The right to
vote belongs to every qualified citizen, not just to you and your large
party.

Donald

Note: Do no harm. Read the following quote, it means you.

   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
   |                         Q U O T A T I O N                         |
   |  "Democracy is a beautiful thing,                                 |
   |       except that part about letting just any old yokel vote."    |
   |                            - Age 10                               |
   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                            N E W S L E T T E R

                    Worldwide Direct Democracy Newsletter
                     Four Issues per Year by Postal Mail
             Cost per year: Czech Republic 200 Kc,  Europe 12 DM
                          Outside of Europe  $10

              Make check payable to: Mr. Bohuslav Binka
              Mail to:  Mr. Bohuslav Binka
                        Bellova 15
                        Brno 623 00
                        Czech Republic
                         N E W    D E M O C R A C Y
              A Source of Study Material for Political Change

                        http://www.mich.com/~donald