[EM] PR-Squared, SMP, and related matters

Wiseman, Julian julian.wiseman at csfb.com
Wed Jul 28 02:10:00 PDT 1999

Blake Cretney has written a good commentary on PR-Squared
(http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/electsys.html). In particular, I agree
that supporters of SMP haven't reconciled the local and the national
plurality requirements: this realisation was one of the inspirations of
PR-Squared.

Blake Cretney's last point is most interesting. Three parties A B C, in
which A supports some particular policy opposed by B and C. They split the
vote 42:35:23. The people have voted 42:58 against the policy, yet A has the
majority required to implement it (squares are 1764 1225 529, giving A a
minimal majority of 1764:1754 = 50.14%:49.86%). This seems like an
objection, but isn't.

There are two possibilities. Either B and C disagree about other policies,
or they don't.

If B and C disagree, then the people are choosing between portfolios of
policies. If there are 10 yes/no policies, and many fewer than 2^10 parties,
it is highly likely that some majority policies will not be favoured by the
winning part / coalition. Inevitable in representative democracy.

But what if B and C agree on all or most policies. Then PR-Squared provides
a massive incentive to form the inevitable coalition before the election,
where it will be visible to voters, rather than after. It gives them a
massive incentive to resolve their few remaining policy desputes before the
election, rather than after, so that voters can see the choices. B & C
should get on with it NOW, and if their coalition is deemed plausible by the
voters, to win by a storming 42:58 => 34.4%:65.6% majority. So much mroe
democratic than have B and C sit down, post election, to negotiate egos
versus polciies.