[EM] Idiots and tyrants?

Wiseman, Julian julian.wiseman at csfb.com
Wed Jul 28 02:24:03 PDT 1999

Or neither, just someone who has observed SMP work well in practice in that
part of the real world called the United Kingdom. Perhaps others are better
(as I've written elsewhere, my preferred system is described at
http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/electsys.html), but SMP is neither idiotic
nor tyrannical.

Minority representation is a mixed blessing. A system that penalises small
parties does give Communists and Fascists an incentive to take their pick
from the more mainstream parties. In a Europe that has just started the
largest economic experiment since Bolshevism (consider the word carefully),
I very much favour electoral systems that penalise the extremists. SMP does
so clumsily (see URL), but compared to pure PR, is a great result for the
blacks and Jews who don't want the anti-immigrant parties holding the
balance of power. A system that elects a single-party government is much
preferable, and that isn't classic PR or its obvious variants.